Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Beast of burden

I never really got into the lyrics of "Beast of Burden" by the Stones. I can hear the tune "Let me be your beast of burden...." but that's about it.

This week I'm studying the passage in Matthew where Jesus says "my yoke is easy and my burden is light." He's asking us to take on his yoke, then tells us its easy and light. Gotta say that at first blush this seems pretty much counter-intuitive to me. Jesus took on the heaviest burden ever -- trying to live a life completely centered on God's desires for the world, working against the power of evil, shunning the power of violence and force. Sorry -- that doesn't sound "easy" or "light" to me.

Can't wait to dig into this one. Maybe you'd like to join me and share your thoughts? Please do!
(Matthew 11:25-30)

No comments: