Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Retreating

I am participating in a quarterly series of retreats with other clergy in our area. We go for 24 hours, from lunch one day to lunch the next. Today is the day, and I wish that I was looking forward to it. Well -- I'm looking forward to it in one way, but I'm feeling anxious and resentful in another. There is work to be done, and being at the retreat center is not the place for working. Of course I could take the work with me, but in order to really retreat I need to leave the work behind. Retreat means taking myself to another place so that I might concentrate on my relationship with God. I want to be excited... I have a special date with God! But as I anticipate my work week, it's seems wrong to take time out.

But if I was someone else, I would be telling someone else that this is time for recharging, time for rest that will allow me to get more done, not less. I believe this in my heart. Just can't convince my head.

On another note: swapping pulpits was fun! Although it was a very early morning, I had great company. We were treated well and I enjoyed a different crowd. The ones who seemed to appreciate it the most were the young people, and that made me very happy!

No comments: