Friday, February 27, 2009

Lenten reflections

I loved the way the Ash Wednesday service transpired. We started out upbeat and worked our way toward the solemnity of placing ashes. Back in the day, when I was a little Catholic girl, I do not remember ever having the choice of where the ashes were placed. They went on your forehead, for everyone to see as you left the service. This night (and the 2 others prior) I gave our people the choice of forehead or hand. The majority leaned in with their head, a tiny nervous smile on their faces, waiting for the ashy inscription of a cross and the words "Remember you are dust and unto dust you will return."

Placing ashes upon someone has been one of the most sacred activities of my ministry. Last year a woman who had dwindled to become almost a specter of herself because of the cancer ravaging her body came forward. As I place the ashes upon her forehead, I was as certain as I could be that this would be the last time she ever experienced this ceremonial reminder of her earthly finitude. And indeed, a few weeks later, sometime following the celebration of Resurrection, she left us, becoming one with the earth. I wonder whose face will no longer be here this time next year.

This act is not a sad one. In my entire faith journey my belief in life after earthly death has not been shaken, except for tiny tremors from time to time. I have been granted the comforting belief, which is actually stronger than faith as it approaches the level of certainty, that death in this world is only the opening to a great eternal life. To be marked by ashes is a promise to me, a promise that the uncertainties of this life will one day be behind me. It is a promise that my best days here will not come close to being as wonderful as my worst days there.

I'm looking forward to the remaining days before we celebrate Resurrection as a time to ponder my life now and how it can best be lived. I'm so glad that I will one day no longer have to concern myself with such questions.

No comments: