Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Is Excess Ever Good?

I've often said "Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess." This mantra has gotten me into trouble (such as with excess food) but it can also be a lot of fun (such as excess time spent playing). I realize that many promote the idea of complete moderation in all things. I know that there are lots of reasons that moderation should be the norm. Moderate political policies appeal to many people. Moderate use of resources is to be applauded. Moderate portions of food keep one from being overstuffed.

But aren't there occasions and seasons of life when excess is actually a good thing? Excessive enthusiasm about a vision might be the best way for the vision to be realized. Who wants to follow a leader who says "Here's the vision. I think it's really good. You should follow this vision."? Wouldn't you rather follow someone who is SOLD OUT for the vision. HEY PEOPLE... LOOK WHAT A GREAT IDEA THIS IS? WOULDN'T YOU LIKE TO JOIN ME IN MAKING THIS GREAT THING HAPPEN? (imagine someone who is bouncing up and down with enthusiasm as this is said.) You might think they're a little strange, and you might not agree with the vision, but at least you'd know that THEY believe in it.

Or how about people who have excess money? Isn't philanthropy fueled by those who have, for whatever reason, accumulated so many resources that they are able to give away some of it for the good of others? I'll grant you that I'll probably never be rich, and perhaps that is why I have this belief that those to whom much has been given much is to be expected. If I was a billionaire maybe I wouldn't think that way, but I would hope that the generosity that I practice today would not diminish but would actually increase if I accumulated excess money.

Can we ever have too much of a good thing? Love, generosity, talent, wisdom. Can we ever be excessively kind (not phony kindness but REAL GENUINE CONCERN for others), or excessively empathetic or excessively enthusiastic? I guess it's possible.

But I'm holding on to my mantra. It is a nice accompaniment to "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission." But that's another post.

No comments: