Wednesday, December 31, 2014

As I begin 2015

Tomorrow the calendar will read "2015". This is the year that Marty McFly of "Back to the Future 2" ventured to. It's the year that Doc changed the power for the DeLorean flying time machine from 1.2 gigawatts of electricity into garbage-powered Mr. Fusion. In 1989, when the movie was released, 2015 was merely a number. I calculated how old would I be in 2015, and I couldn't imagine being that old, (THIS old). What would my life be like in 2015? It turns out it is nothing at all like I would have expected.

Among the many unexpected circumstances of my life is my continued involvement with youth ministry. I'll be spending the first weekend of 2015 with a group of teenagers and young adults. I will easily be the oldest person in attendance at this weekend retreat. Many times in the last few years I have contemplated whether or not I'm too old to counsel such events. Surely there is a limit, right?

In contemplating this question, I ask my self: Do I meet the qualifications for a good counselor? I suppose that depends what qualities one feels are needed. Personally my list is pretty simple: 1. Put the kids needs before your own; 2. Provide a physically, emotionally and spiritually safe place for them; 3. Listen with a caring ear and offer helpful insights when asked for. I feel like I'm capable of meeting these three criteria, so I continue to serve.

I enjoy teenagers and young adults. Because ultimately, they are just folks. They have hopes and dreams and fears just like we do. They have not experienced as much of life as we have, but they are sometimes capable of insight and courage that we experienced folk can shy away from. They speak from a place of "unknowing", which allows them to not only think outside of the box, but to question the existence of the box. This can be a refreshing experience.

Someday I assume I will reach the limit. Someday perhaps I will not appreciate youthful exuberance or silliness. Someday I won't be able to relate to their latest "thing." (Snapchat could be my undoing, but I'm not giving up yet.) I am counting on my younger colleagues to tell me when I'm more of a burden than a help. But until then, I guess I'll keep saying 'yes' when I'm asked to be a part of these youth events. I know some amazing adults today that I first met when they were teens, and my life would be so much less rich if I did not know them.

CYF MidWinter....here I come.

No comments: